June 16, 2008

Julie & Julia : My Year of Cooking Dangerously

Kendra's Comments: Have you ever screamed at your husband when a batch of cookies did not turn out? I’m ashamed to admit it, but I have – more than once…. This is the life of Julie Powell who writes about her year of finding herself through cooking. And not just cooking, but cooking all five hundred and some recipes in Julia Child’s first volume of her Mastering the Art of French Cooking. These are insane recipes for anyone to even attempt in this day and age – but Julie does it, and blogs about her experiences along the way. This is a fun read for any foodie who enjoys food writing (like the big dork I am – yes I buy and read cookbooks for fun – and rarely make more one or two recipes from any one book). This book does have an excessive amount of language, especially considering the topic. The setting is a cramped New York apartment – which makes for some funny experiences that are fun to read about. Check Status at GPL